PATCHAM COMMUNITY CENTRE HISTORY
The Patcham Community Centre is run by the Patcham Community Association, which was formed in 1945.
Historically in 1944 the then Brighton County Borough Council got together the various Patcham organisations to discuss the formation of a Community Association.
In 1945 the Association was launched by a group of 14 organisations, one of which, the Horticultural Society, is still affiliated to the Association over 60 years later. One surprise member of the original 14 was the Patcham Communist Party!
Patcham now had a Community Association but no Community Centre, although a wide variety of organisations held their meetings in the local schools.
In the mid 60’s the Margaret Hardy Secondary School for Girls and the Fawcett School for Boys were relocated from St Peters Church area to the Patcham area, the girls moving into a remodelled secondary school in Warmdene Road and the boys moving to a newly built school at the very top of Ladies Mile Road.
The Mayor of Brighton at the time was a prominent Patcham resident - Alderman Kippin (aka Mr. Patcham) and he arranged for a combined Community Centre & Youth club to use a portion of the revamped girl’s school.
Patcham then had its first dedicated Community Centre which included a ‘TV Lounge’ where special occasions could be watched by those without TV sets of their own.
Having absorbed the Patcham Fawcett Boys School to become the ‘mixed’ Patcham High School in the 1990’s, it soon became clear that more accommodation was needed which meant that the Centre had to relocate. Consequently in 2003 the Association moved into a new purpose built Community Centre & Library, the library moving from a building adjacent to the campus entrance and the vacated building being converted to the Youth Club.
The new centre is now a hub of activity for local people, with over 40 different organisations using it, in addition to hosting many family celebrations.
Geographic boundries of Patcham
Patcham Tower Clock. Built in 1930s
HISTORY of PATCHAM
Patcham was originally a separate village that developed around the partly 12th- and 13th-century All Saints church. The parish of Patcham extended to 32 square miles (83 km2) and encompassed large parts of what are now adjacent suburbs, such as Withdean, Westdene, Hollingbury and Tongdean. It extended eastwards into modern-day Moulsecoomb, westwards beyond Dyke Road into Hove, and northwards across the sparsely-populated South Downs towards the parishes of Pyecombe and Ditchling. The centre of the original village, based around the church (on Church Hill) and the Old London Road – now bypassed by the modern A23 – is a conservation area, and several buildings are listed.
Sir Herbert Carden, a prominent Brighton solicitor who was mayor for three years from 1916 and served on the council from 1895 until 1941, was responsible for the boundary changes on 1 April 1928 which brought Patcham within the "Greater Brighton" area. To commemorate this, two large stone pillars, known as the "Pylons", were erected on the A23 just north of the village of Patcham, marking the new boundary line. The land around the village was mostly undeveloped at this time, but many houses were later built. Many of the estates built around the old village date from the 1930s. The Ladies Mile Estate, built around the former drove road from the village to Stanmer Park, is an example; it is separated from Hollingbury to the southeast by Carden Avenue, named after Sir Herbert.
The roads around the Mackie Avenue estate (all with Scottish names) were named by the Scottish builder George Ferguson who developed the estate. He also planted the Scots pines on the Ladies Mile Open Space.
The Windmill View estate at the top of Ladies Mile Road is built on the site of the old Patcham Fawcett School.
According to 2011 Census Patcham population stands at 14,277 persons.